How did you get your idea or concept for the business? We identified a gap in Instrumentation, Electrical and Automation services that GIL Automations can provide about 10 years ago and we set out to fill the needs by leveraging on our OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturers) partners abroad. We now have operations in key marine hubs across West Africa, including Lagos, Portharcourt, Tema/Accra and Takoradi/Secondi.
How many employees are there in Gil Automation? 195 staff
What service(s) or product(s) do you offer?
- Automation and Control Systems
- survey and testing of radio communication equipment
- Survey and maintenance of Fire extinguishing equipment
- Electrical Motor winding and repairs
- Panel Solutions including switchgears, VFD, Motor Control Centers
- Regional dominance in West Africa.
- Experienced and capable Engineers.
- OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturers) Partners relevant to the marine industry.
- Committed management system proven and certified by ISO 9001:2015, CSIA and other quality bodies.
- Work ethics/attribute
- Ability to learn and develop in the system
- Problem solving abilities.
- Our goal is to be our clients’ best partner in providing system that work
Did you have major competitors when you started, how did you plan to compete with them, and how did that plan play out? Yes we do and we were able to stand tall as a result of our uncompromising commitment to quality and customers priority.How do you facilitate a positive work environment that attracts and retains talent? By motivating them with competitive wages and incentives, ensuring the workplace environment is suitable and conducive for work and constant training and development both locally and internationallyWhat would you say was the single most influential factor in your business’ success?
- What are your company’s goals?
- Regional Dominance across West Africa.
- Experienced and capable Local Engineers.
- Close relationship with OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturers).
- Committed management system proven and certified by (ISO 9001:2015,CSIA and other quality bodies)
What has been your greatest moment of success? Our moment of success are numerous. We have delivered several projects on international ships within record time and under budget.
How do you approach marketing your business?
- We let our quality service speak for us.
- Social media
- Digital marketing
- Ensuring excellent customers’ satisfaction etc.
How do you believe evolving technology will impact the way we do business over the next 10 years? We have always believed the advent of technology for the future cannot be underestimated. Hence, the need for us to start off early on Automation and seek for continuous improvement in what we do.
If you had one piece of advice to someone just starting out, what would it be? Stay focused on your customer; Africa is not for “sisis” and your best marketing tool is a job well done.