1st Global Conference on Biofouling Management for Maritime Industries
The IMarEST’s 1st Global Conference on Biofouling Management for Maritime Industries will bring together specialists from across this multidisciplinary and multisectoral field to support the development of a practical and sustainable path forward for maritime industries to achieve outcomes that will better protect the global maritime environment.
The settlement and growth of biofouling species on surfaces immersed in the sea, whether they are ship hulls, drilling rigs, or aquaculture nets, can compromise operational performance as well as enabling the movement of marine species along coasts or across seas. Although a phenomenon that has happened since mariners first set sail, the management of biofouling in, and by, maritime industries has become a subject of increasing global interest because of the need to reduce the GHG emissions for shipping, the need for increased seafood production through aquaculture, and concerns on the spread of invasive marine species. However, the path forward is not a straight road. Keeping immersed surfaces free of biofouling for extended periods mostly means applying a coating that continually releases biocide to prevent the attachment of biofouling organisms, and/or regular in-water cleaning to remove and growth that has attached. But do these biocides and coatings have adverse environmental impacts? And what is the fate and effects of in-water cleaning waste? The impacts of species spread as biofouling are also far from clear. Do introduced marine biofouling species reduce local biodiversity, or increase it by occupying disturbed and modified environments? And how do regulations imposed to protect states against the perceived invasive marine species threat impact on industries?
The 1st Global Conference on Biofouling Management for Maritime Industries is a forum for the discussion of these and other issues to support the development of a practical and sustainable path forward for maritime industries to achieve outcomes that will better protect the global maritime environment.
- Co-Chair: John Lewis, Chair of the IMarEST Biofouling Management SIG
- Co-Chair: Dr Bev Mackenzie CMarSci, CSci, FMBA, FIMarEST Representative to IMO in London and Manager Marine Environment at BIMCO
Call for Abstracts
The IMarEST is seeking to hear about experiences from all perspectives: ship owner / operators, coating manufacturers, the research community, regulators, in-water service providers, testing organisations, industry associations, and classification societies.
Abstracts will be reviewed based on technical quality, relevance and their potential for generating interest and discussion. All presentations will be in the English language. Prospective authors are invited to submit titles, and synopses of no more than 250 words online by Sunday 4 July 2021.
Successful authors will be asked to develop their abstract and submit a presentation of no longer than 20 minutes.
- Technologies, old and new, for biofouling management in maritime industries
- Biofouling management for the offshore O&G and renewable energy industries
- Biofouling in aquaculture: impacts, risks and solutions
- In-water cleaning: techniques, risks, and regulations
- The balance between the efficacy and environmental impact of biocidal antifouling coating
- Generation of microplastics from the erosion, degradation, cleaning and removal of antifouling coatings
- Ship biofouling as a vector for the spread of marine species and their impact
- Regulations and requirements for biofouling management in shipping: practicalities and operational impacts
Please submit your abstract by 4 July 2021.
The Online IMarEST Conference Experience
The conference will take place online using the IMarEST’s online conference platform, with speakers and delegates able to attend, and network with each other, from anywhere in the world.
Key features include:
- Flexible 2-day conference programme of 90-minute live sessions, with the ability to ask your questions to our speakers.
- Dedicated networking sessions where you can explore and connect with fellow delegates, speakers and sponsors.
- Exclusive on demand access to sessions via IMarEST TV for 6 months after the conference.
- Virtual exhibition area to connect with sponsors and support organisations.
- Easy access to the conference platform via your computer and/or mobile devices.
- IMarEST CPD-recognised Certificate of Attendance following the conference.
|22 Sep 2021
|Event End Date
|23 Sep 2021